Monday, February 27, 2012

Two Week Countdown Begins!

All going well, March 12th at 8:34 AM, I'll be stepping off an airplane in Anchorage Alaska. If I'm lucky someone will be there to pick me up and whisk me off to my latest adventure! As a friend has so deftly described it, "You seem to have found the job which combines work and fun in a perfect way." "The job" he refers to being my new position with Motoquest Tours!

I'm heading up early to get the shop in ship-shape and prepare the motorcycles for the summer riding season. My only other time in AK was around 1960 as a small boy. We were flying to Japan via Anchorage and Honolulu so I never made it out of the airport. What I remember most was the seemingly giant stuffed Polar Bear towering over my head inside of the terminal!

My preparations have included extensive research including reading blogs and ride reports chronicling the adventures of many moto-tourists. This account will begin by sharing the thought process behind the decision to "jump into the void", leaving the security of hearth and home, then report the actual "nuts and bolts" of getting ready to make the "jump". Finally I will endeavor to provide a "blow by blow" narrative of daily occurances.

The main objective being to have a diary of sorts to document my latest life phase, it will also serve as a conduit to my family and friends. Also, I  invite any interested voyeurs out there to follow along. I welcome any input regarding any aspects of this offering, whether it be suggestions for adventure or construtive criticism on my writing style. In that regard I will attempt to live up to the standards set by others before me. I will include many photographs and pertinent links to embelish the written word.

Enjoy, and thanks for coming along for the ride!

1 comment: