Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Stage Two...The Move Is On!

Stowing away everything I anticipate needing to live in Alaska for 6 months was a daunting task indeed!

Regarding clothes, the weather's a conundrum. Anchorage is approaching record snowfall this year and it  will be six weeks or so before the thaw arrives. Warm clothing will need to be packed. Alaska summers can get warm. So there's that to be considered. High tech layering is the answer. I've got that covered. My Samsonite roll-on is stuffed to the gills with all I deem necessary plus my new laptop which did not fit into the backpack after all.

Weighing in at 47 pounds, the XL Ortleib duffle bag is crammed full of all my motorbike camping equipment I need for my explorations on my days off. With all my past experience traveling by  bike, that wasn't so tough.

That leaves all my actual moto-gear to be stuffed into another large duffle. ATGATT is an acronym I subscribe to meaning "all the gear all the time".Therefore along with my Arai helmet in it's travel case, there's Sidi biker boots, Fieldsheer riding pants, Diamond brand Kevlar re-enforced jeans, several pairs of boot socks, a few pairs of gloves and miscellaneous necessities included. The First Gear coat would not fit and will be worn on the plane along with my Columbia Sportswear super warm boots.

The last two weeks before departure were very busy. Many friends and family members wanting to "get together" for farewell lunches,dinners and general carousing all culminating with a memorable party at my favorite Vancouver pub Shanahan's. Thanks again for all who joined in the fun!


Greg and his youngest daughter Haley were at my door on the Friday before my flight to whisk me, my gear and Senor Jorge Garcia up to the Seattle area for the weekend. Senor is a Sun Conure that has been sharing my house for 10+ years. He was not eager to be bullied into a small travel cage for the trip north where he will be residing along with Greg's birds while I'm away. Thanks Greg!

Say hello to Haley!

After stopping for lunch with nephew Kevin at Mexican Villa for one last taste of my favorite south-of-the-border food, which I've been enjoying for 40 years, we were on the road.

It was great spending the weekend with Greg and the girls before flying out on Monday. We took in "The Lorax" which was pretty good. Thomas, Theresa & Triston came up from Olympia on Sunday for a fine visit.

Saying goodbye to these little angels was the hardest of all. It was difficult holding back the tears.
Unfortunately Merianne was in San Francisco all weekend so I did not get to say goodbye.
Goodbye Merianne.

Had to get up at 3 AM to make the 6 AM flight out of SeaTac. Of course the TSA wanted  to take a gander at "all the electronics and wires" in my backpack but I made it to the gate with plenty of time to spare after repacking. The flight was full.. Luck was on my side. The only empty seat was between me and the guy on the isle. So I had that going for me! There was a storm approaching and the take off was very turbulent causing the gal in front of me to use the little bag in the seat pouch. It sucked to be her! And the people on either side of her. Three hours later, this was my view out of the window!

So I made it to the 49th state for the start of my Big Adventure! Did I mention the temperature was 7 degrees!


.

1 comment: